Tuesday, January 24, 2023

My new Year--My new Story


 One Million words written

Six novels completed

An agent found

And a minimum of four children’s books published

These 4 short goals for 2023 will make this story possible….

I have been a writer since I was in grade school, I wrote my first full-length novel (150,000 words) when I was 12 and started several others. In school, I allowed myself to get sidetracked, by basketball, volleyball, track, band, and choir, but I still wrote every day, finding my voice and my passion and not letting anything stand in my way of me being a writer, but I never considered myself an author, not someone with the talent to get paid to do what they loved. I met my first love when I was 15 and we married in high school. He was born with a terminal illness and the doctors told us every year that if he made it through this winter, he would probably make it to the next. We had two children, and by the time he was 27, he had had several strokes and was bedridden for the last 6 years of his life. I had to work three jobs to take care of the kids, pay for the bills, get his medicine, and his home health nurse. I am sorry he had to go through it, but I am grateful that I had the opportunity to know him. He was an amazing man and my inspiration. He never complained about what life had thrown at him, knowing that each day could be his last made him live that day to the fullest. He was passionate and adventurous, never letting his illness stop him from doing what he loved, doing things that most people told him he shouldn't or couldn't because he was sick. He is the reason I will never end a conversation or leave the house without telling people that I love them, and that they are important to me because, with him, I never knew if he would be there when I got home. After his strokes I let my writing drop to nearly nothing, finding little time to sleep or eat, let alone time to be creative, while I worked 7 days a week, sleeping during my lunch, and concentrating what little home time I had to just be with him and the kids. At 33 he passed away from a heart attack, on April Fool’s Day, the worst joke he ever played on me. I am devastated by his loss, and I miss him every day, even now, 17 years later. I know that he had a full life, and I am so glad I got to be a part of it. I never want to go through that pain again, but the eighteen years I had with him made it all worth it. When he passed, I threw myself into my writing, writing several new books and storing them away. When I met my new husband, he started to push me to publish my books, but it was hard for me, as I said, I never believed I could be an author. Picked on in school, quiet and shy, I was much better at sitting alone in a room and losing myself to my work than I was at putting myself out there. My mother only had one call from the school about me, the teacher wanted to speak to her about me not talking in class. Mom was confused saying that she thought kids weren't supposed to talk in class. The teacher said...She won't even talk when I ask her a question. I am not a talker, and still am not, and I am not one to put myself out there. At the time my husband was pushing me to get published, I had never even let someone look at my writing. I had written several short stories for school assignments that had to be read aloud in class. The kids made fun of me, but the teacher tried to push me to get my work published, telling me how good it was. I said no, telling her, and myself, that I was just writing for me, for fun, and that being an actual "writer" was not what I wanted. I finally allowed my husband to, not exactly bully me :) but to strongly encourage and motivate me, and I started putting my work out there. I now have a couple of children’s books, and two novels published. The response was good, I have good reviews and sales were decent for a first-time unknown author. The problem is...they were published over 10 years ago. I have finished two other novels, am halfway through a third, and have several chapters into about 50 or 60 others, not to mention the original story that I wrote, oh so many long years ago, that is complete, still sitting and waiting for me to do some last-minute edits and turn it into my publisher. Every time I sit to work on a book, I end up telling myself that something else is more important, that the floors need to be swept, the dishes need to be done, and the laundry needs folded. I tell myself that all of this is more important than wasting time at a computer doing something that is not paying the bills. Every time I think about turning my work in to the publisher, I just keep thinking that my earlier success had to have been a mistake, it was an accident that will not be repeated, either that or all the people that hated it just didn't bother to say anything. Sales dropped off and have gone to nearly nothing because I did not have the momentum with another book to keep the readers interested, especially since both of my published novels are book 1 in their series. Also, because I am not one to "put myself out there" marketing for my book has been close to nothing. I have let self-criticism keep me from completing any of the books that I am working on and have let fear and doubt keep me from being something I have wanted to be since I was 8.

I know my story, I am a writer and I am an author. People are going to love me or they are going to hate me, but that is the nature of writing. Not every book is for every person and all I have to do is read the reviews of my favorite books to remind myself of that. I have had a wonderful life, and I have a great story. As I have written this I realize something, it is not a story I want to "change", but like the tales that I write, that mass of stories that I have sitting in my computer and in the vast notebooks that encompass my office, all I have to do is to find the courage to complete my own story, to edit out the parts that are holding me back, to refine my words and my storyline until it matches my vision of a better future.

So what I am working on is not my new story, because I need to stick with something and see it complete. This is my soon-to-be-published story, and edits, changes, and cuts need to be made to make that happen. In my writing career, I need to focus on one story at a time until it is done, not tell myself that I need to switch between them because this character or that is talking to me. That is just an excuse to procrastinate, a chance to allow my doubts to stop me without admitting that is what I am doing. I need to put a set limit on editing, because I know it will never be good enough for me and I will always find some word or some phrase that could use a little tweaking, could be just a little better. That too is just a way to fall before my fears without admitting that that is what I am doing. When the book is done, I need to turn it in to the publisher, it will never be published if I don’t turn it in. For both my writing career and my personal life I am going to go back to school and get my history degree. (That must wait until next year though, because I have agreed to become the President of the Idaho Veterans of Foreign Wars Auxiliary, and that will mean lots of travel and time over the next year. It is something I am terrified to do---it means a lot of speeches in front of people I do not know and many meeting that I will be in charge of--I hope it helps not only the veterans and their families but me as well) For my books to be successful I must start putting myself out there into the public, restarting my blog, getting back onto Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, and getting out to do book signings, in other words, being my own cheerleader. In my personal life, I need to lose weight. I don't care what I look like, and I don't care what the scale says. What I do care about is my ability to ride the rides at the fair, to go mountain and rock climbing, to go running, to go hike the Appalachian Trail, and to spend many years with my family. The things that I love doing, things I miss or dream of doing, but things that I cannot do because of my weight.

Making these changes to my story will allow me to have the Happily Ever After that everyone, including me (I remind myself subtly) deserves to have. It will make me a better wife, a better mother, and a better person.

#newstory #mystory

 

No comments:

Post a Comment